Professional software developer and product manager with over 20 years hands-on entrepreneurial experience. Expertise with a broad range of software and Internet technologies, including Ruby on Rails, jQuery, and Rspec.
I solve real world problems with practical yet elegant user-centric solutions based on business priorities. I subscribe to agile, behavior driven (BDD), TATFT, DRY, progressive enhancement, “Don't make me think”, and open source approaches to software development. I love to love my work.
Recent technical experience and skills include:
- Ruby on Rails since 2007 (version 1.x) as my principal language and framework (prior work in Php, Java, C++). Active member of the Rails community and technical ecosystem.
- Expertise with SQL databases (including mySQL, Postgres); experience with no-SQL databases (MongoDB, CouchDB); cloud-based (Amazon AWS); import/export/data processing; and text-based data stores (CSV, YAML, XML). Knowledge of query optimizations, data compression, and encryption.
- Authentication and authorization frameworks (including devise, authlogic).
- Ecommerce frameworks including ActiveMerchant, and gateway services (Authorize.net, Braintree)
- Advocate of test and behavior-driven development (BDD), including Rspec (behavioral unit testing) and Cucumber (plain text executable user scenarios). My projects average 1:1 code to test ratios.
- Expertise in various CSS and HTML templating frameworks (including SASS/SCSS, Compass, HAML, simple_form/formtastic, Themeroller). Worked with HTML5, CSS3, and jQuery Mobile.
- Practical practitioner of agile development processes including iterative design/development with rapid customer feedback.
- Strong experience in hosting (including cloud-based (Heroku), virtual private servers, linux/unix/osx); deployment (Capistrano); and revision control (git, SVN)
West Lebanon, NH (2011 - present)
- Senior Software Engineer. Technical lead, software architect, mentor, and agile developer primarily using Ruby on Rails, for medical data management.
Parkerhill Technology LLC
Lyman, NH (2002 - present)
- Owner. Web applications development and product management consulting, specializing in Ruby, Rails and related web applications development. Active member of the Ruby on Rails community since 2007.
Manchester, NH (1998 - 2002)
- VP & Biz Dev Customer Advocate. Co-founder of Internet security software company. Managed technical operations, customer support, and enterprise installations.
Bedford, NH (1994 - 1998)
- Development and Product Manager, Data Management Division. Directed development of the AutoCAD View family of software products for engineering workflow.
Londonderry, NH (1987 - 1994)
- Owner. Built leading computer-aided design (CAD) collaboration tools for engineering teams. Acquired by Autodesk in 1994.
Massachusetts Institute of Technology (Cambridge, MA)
Master of Science in Media Technology
MIT Media Lab
Syracuse University (Syracuse, NY)
Bachelor of Arts
Computer graphics and animation